Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Transported to San Fran?

I went on a bike ride with Sam over the weekend. We headed out to Eastbourne, which is on the other side of the harbour from Wellington. It reminded me SO MUCH of San Fran, well, more specifically Sausalito/Tiburon looking over toward San Fran. (See Map below, if its too small you can click on it to enlarge it).

The ride was great though... the beginning was nice and relaxing (the wind was behind us) and we headed out from Burdan's Gate toward Pencarrow. We had great views of the South Island and its snow capped mountains and over to our right was the other side of the harbour. It was a great day to go out for a bike ride!! Here is an action shot courtesy of Sam:

We got out past Pencarrow and toward Fitzroy Bay, where the name is on the map and on the way we found a shipwreck. Sam knew it was out there, but it was all new to me. So we took the photo op and here is a shot of me:


I learned a lesson about wading near water about 5 minutes past when it could have been useful for me! Sam told me to 'never stand on a wet rock' and in the photo below I'm doing exactly the opposite of the advice and getting a shoe full of Cook Straight water!


The ride back in toward the car was a bit more difficult since we were going in TOWARD the wind this time. And the wind can get pretty strong down here. I was in my lowest gear, on virtually flat ground and BARELY moving! If you've been on a bike machine and have tried going on the highest level, yeah, thats how it felt. Oh it was so rude, after having come out there on the easy, peaceful ride then turn around and Bam! Hit by a wall of wind. It was tough, but we did make it eventually. Needless to say, I was sore afterward!! (Right Fi and Sam???)


Unfortunately for some reason we didn't get any great photos of the view over to Welly. But we did get this picture of some of the houses in the area... definitely remind me of the cute beach town atmosphere of Sausalito.

But fortunately, Sam and I stopped at a Cafe for lunch afterward. I believe it was called "Chocolate Days Cafe"... We had a nice time and I enjoyed my Chai Latte and then we headed back home to call it a day and for me to write lesson plans.... so enjoyable!

No comments: