Friday, May 29, 2009

Mom! Look what I can do!


I got to learn how to surf!!! I arrived to the Gold Coast on Thursday, checked into the first Hostel I found, and asked about activities I could do here. The receptionist was very helpful and said that I could jump into a surf lesson in about an hour. I was a little reluctant at first because I wasn't mentally prepared to learn how to surf that day, but I figured since the weather was nice and there was an open spot I could fill, I ought to do it.

My instructor picked me up and a few other people and off we went to a The Spit (a quiet beach with small waves- perfect to learn in).

Here is the gang:


I had SO MUCH FUN surfing!!! I was by no means good at it, but I did stand up and catch a few waves!! Here are some candid shots. I think if I hadn't been laughing the ENTIRE time, I may have been a little better... oh well, I had a great time!

Heading out - looking like a pro:


How to Surf:

Bring right knee up to center of board:


Bring left leg up to center, in front of right foot:

Push yourself up to standing position:

And stand up to ride the wave!! (With a big goofy grin on your face):


A few wipe outs for your enjoyment:


1 comment:

Shannon said...

2nd from the bottom is my fav!