Friday, July 31, 2009

Hospital Stay? Sure!

A few weeks ago I had a little health scare... here are the dates and my thoughts on the issue....

July 17, 2009
I believe most of you know I'm sick in Hoi An, Vietnam... in a hospital with a fever, sore throat, achy muscles. Came in this morning around 7am because I couldn't sleep and figured I should get checked by a doc, get some antibiotics and be on my way. But oh no. They thought that I could have swine flu and didn't want me lurking around their country without staying a night in their hospital. So, here I am. It's now 11pm, the doctor left me his laptop, which connects to wireless Internet, I have a big flat screen TV, Air Con, private bathroom, and room service!! Compared to some of the places I've stayed, this is essentially a really nice hotel!! Plus, and more importantly, I'm feeling a ton better than when I was this morning so that's a good thing! I'm hoping to get checked by the doctor again tomorrow morning and get cleared to move out.


Check out those sweet hospital pants... I took them as a souvenir

July 18, 2009
It's Friday night here in Nam and I'm still stuck in the hospital. The attached photos are from my adventures today. The small vial next to the teapot is what I needed to 'urine water' in. This was a very entertaining conversation between the male nurse and myself. He handed me the bottle and said something in Vietnamese. I looked at him very confused and he mumbled something (with his swine flu mask on so I couldn't read lips), and then his little eyes widen and he cocked his head to the side when he was done like 'You understand?' And I shook my head. He then went on to make somewhat of a peeing sound and said urine water a few times until understood him. As soon as I did, I started laughing extremely hard and said 'You want me to pee in THIS tiny thing!?' He laughed back, probably not understanding anything and said 'yes, yes'. I couldn't believe it but did my best. Pretty sure that bottle used to be filled with some drug beforehand and now they are reusing it for my tinkle... but, I guess they're being eco-friendly??? Or just cheap.
The evidence of what happened... that teapot is only for one serving of tea... so its small.

Afterward, the doctor that speaks the best English, which isn't saying much, came in to tell me that people were being flown in from the government to take information from me... sweet. In come these people in the full body blue suits to take my blood, a throat swab and a nose swab. None of them spoke English, and all of their goggles were getting fogged up by their breath. I couldn't help but laugh at them... and then the leader of the pack, a Nazi woman came at me with her Q-tip to take a nose swab, which I assume is just a nice little graze in my nostril... but oh no, again I am tricked and she friggin' dug that thing so far up my nose I thought she was poking my brain!!! Stupid lady. I flailed my legs around, said a few curse words, which the man in the blue suit started laughing at. (Sorry Mom, I thought I could get away with it since they didn’t speak English.) I then grabbed the woman’s arm and pulled her stupid Q-tip out of my skull!

But now all those have been flown to the medical center in another town that has the capabilities to test it for Swine, and the results should be in within 24 hours. Which means, I'm here til tomorrow evening. If they come up clear of swine (which I think they will), then I'll get outta here right then, and if not, I could be in here for a whole week!! AH! let's hope not...

No comment needed.

July 19, 2009
The results have yet to come back…. I’m staying another night here and the doctor said he would call my room directly at 9am when the results are in. For some odd reason, I feel like they have my results but enjoy getting another couple hundred bucks for me to stay overnight again. Ugh….

July 20, 2009
Results are in and I’m FREE!!! No swine flu. They actually didn’t tell me what I had… I assume it was strep throat or something along those lines. Nothing like staying three nights in a hospital in Vietnam. I actually lucked out though; in my opinion… it was almost like a few days in a hotel – room service, movie channels, wi-fi internet. Best part: my insurance pays for it!!! Glad that little bill will get some use to it. The only real downfall was not being able to leave, but I’m back to being healthy now and off to do more traveling!

If anyone ever gets sick in Hoi An, Vietnam, go to the Pacific Hospital in town!

No comments: