Sunday, April 13, 2008

First Day of School

Today was my first day of school. I had SUCH A GREAT TIME!!! My coworkers are all very fun and friendly and helpful! I toured around all day with one particular class, and they have a reputation for being the 'bad students'. It was interesting to see how they acted with particular teachers versus other ones. I don't want to bore you with my critics of the situation, but if you are a teacher reading this and want to know more then just ask!
Most of the students didn't know where Seattle was... when I first announced it in 1st period I heard a girl ask her friend if that was in Australia. Then later in the day a different girl asked me where it was exactly and I replied with 'the west coast of America'. She looked at me blankly so I said the same side as california. And that got her all jazzed up with questions about Hollywood, Laguana Beach and where The Hills are filmed! HA. How funny! That's why people have such awful impressions of Americans!!
After school we had a PE Meeting. This week our PE Head, Adam, wanted us to practice some sports we didn't really know... which for me were all of them!! We played a mixed game of NetBall and Soccer (Football down here). Then moved on to Field Hockey. I have never even picked up a field hockey stick before so it was a bit troublesome in the beginning, but I caught on eventually and after a lot of pointers from my coworkers.

I'm really excited about teaching now!! Obviously its just the first day, so lets hope I still have this attitude at the end of next term!!

This evening, Kelly and I are going with Fi to her NetBall game. It will be our first experience with that, and she said we can play if a few of her teammates don't show up. NetBall is essentially Basketball played with a Volleyball and you aren't allowed to dribble/run with the ball. Should be interesting!!

Kelly did a ton of research while I was at school today and is planning our next 2 weeks for the Holiday. Can't wait for that!! Sounds like we'll spend a few days on the North Island going wine tasting, zorbing (http://youtube.com/watch?v=-ljbOmNX7x0) and possibly Rver Rafting through caves with glow worms!! Then we'll head down to the South Island for about 10 days to ride on a big bus with a bunch of other travelers just like us!!! Can't wait for that!!!

2 comments:

SarahSG said...

Molly, i think you should try vegemite. I'm going to warn you, it is NOT tasty at all, but as they say... "try everything once". If your gag reflex is not feeling sensitive then you should go for it;)

Joanne Graham said...

YO Molls - I love reading what you write on your blog. What a kick to hear from you. What do the kids think of your "funny accent"? Sounds like school is great. What about cricket? Gotta play some of that. My brother always tries to explain that one to me. Seems crazy. Have a great time with your break. Sounds like your travels will be tons of fun. Keep the entries coming!!!