Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Kayaking

Hey!!

I've gotten a few requests to do some more blogging so I will try right now. Kelly and I have been on a bus tour of the south island for the last week. We've had a GREAT time so far!! We started out in Nelson, a town at the northern tip and took a kayaking trip to the Abel Tasman National Park. It started out well, we headed off into the ocean, with very choppy conditions and not too much sun, but no rain at that! After about 45 mins of paddling away, our guide took us into "Shag Harbour" (no joke), and it turned into a secluded, calm, quiet area with beautiful scenary. It was so peaceful!! We continued paddling around for a bit and came to a turn where we saw our guides' face light up! He yelled back to us 'They're here! I see about 20 or 30 baby fur seals!!" I was so excited! Kel and i hurried up and got around the corner to see these little guys. They were adorable! They have these BIG eyes that stare at you under the water, but then they also come up to your boat and sniff around because they are so curious! It was amazing!!

Two love birds....

One lone guy...



Kel and I paddling out of Shag Harbour...



The whole day was perfect! It was so much fun and the weather held for us and started to clear up on our way back into the beach. Actually, aside from seeing these amazing creatures up close and personal (I honestly still feel like it was fake and we were really at an aquarium and the people in NZ are really tricking us....) but anyway, on our way back into the beach our guide decided to start a water fight with everyone. Kel and I were about 20 meters behind him as he started this up, so Kel goes 'Lets sneak up and get him!!" Great idea kel. So in we went! We were close and since I was in the front I started to splash him with my paddle and around he turns to start to get us, and obviously, since there was water coming at me I lunged away from it and Kel did so too at the same time... thus, we capesized into the Tasman Sea!!! AH! It was very very funny and not very cold at all so we enjoyed ourselves for a bit! I unforunately lost my sunglasses, but I think it was worth it in the end : )

I'll try to update this more. There is a Glacier story to tell and lots of good times we've had along the way! We're in Queenstown right now and head out tomorrow on a boat ride to Milford Sounds. I'll be sure to update more as soon as I can!!

Take care everyone!

No comments: